Monday, November 11, 2013

A Five Year Plan

A little over two years ago, I sat up into the wee hours of the morning having a heart to heart with someone who helped to shape who I am today in a very fundamental way. He asked me what my five year plan was. Back then I had no answers to his question. I had been drifting for so long and I felt that any of my hopes and dreams were unattainable so it was pointless to make a five year plan when nothing I ever did came to fruition. Over the next year, he helped me out of that place. Whenever I thought anything was impossible, we sat and talked out the logistics until it was actually possible. He taught me to let go of fear because when he reached out his hand and asked me to follow nothing ever seemed intimidating or impossible and the unknown was exciting instead of terrifying. 
I have a five year plan now. I want to finish my bachelor's degree. I want to make the Dean's list as many quarters as possible. I want to make it into the Master's in Higher Education program at NU. I want to get my position upgraded to reflect the work I'm doing instead of the work I was hired for. I want to bring my office into the new millennium and get away from all of the ridiculous paper we do. I want to put together a series of workshops on essential life skills that I believe are important for our students to know. I want to pay off all of my credit card debt. I have at least five more tattoos I want to get. I want to go skydiving. I want to travel to Italy as a graduation gift when I complete my bachelor's degree. I want to get to a point in therapy where I no longer have to be on medication for my depression. I want to be able to run a race that's more than five miles. I want to compete in an archery tournament. I want to get a demo tape together to send out for voice acting. I want a higher belt in judo. And I want to find a partner to do some of these things with. It doesn't have to be tomorrow or even next year but I'd like to find someone that encourages me to keep going and will hold my hand through the good times and the bad ones and will work as a team. *I don't know, that last one might be reaching a bit* :)
So here is my question to you, dear friends: what is your five year plan? If you don't have one, what are you afraid of? If you don't have one, find someone that motivates you and helps you find your real voice and tell your fear to shut up and shoot for the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment