Friday, November 8, 2013

A Letter to My Students (whom I love)

Dear students:

I feel that we see each other often enough that I can give you some information that you might not otherwise glean from our short interactions. 
  • There are 1600 of you and 1 of me. As much as I wish I remembered all of your names or the last thing we talked about and as much as I wish I could finish all of your required paperwork in a matter of a couple of days, I can't. There aren't enough hours in the day, I don't have enough hands, and I don't have enough brain power.
  • I work through my lunch nearly every day so that I know there is always someone here to answer your questions. 
  • I am not in particularly great shape because it takes me about an hour to get through a cup of soup with all of the interruptions so sometimes, when we're really busy, I eat chips and a candy bar because it's easier to get through and won't get cold. Also, the tea in my mug is almost always cold because the last time I got to take a sit was about twenty minutes ago.
  • If I make it to the bathroom more than once during the day, I consider it a personal triumph. 
  • I work here full-time and I also take weekend and evening classes so sometimes I might be a little more tired and less coherent than usual.
  • I do the equivalent of about three people's worth of work.
  • Working in university administrative services is what I want to do the rest of my life so that I can help make your college experience the best it can possibly be.
So please oh please be as patient with me as you can, keep your snide remarks to yourself, and remember every time you come in to "check on your paperwork" is time that I'm not working toward getting it done. 

<3
me

No comments:

Post a Comment