Thursday, February 7, 2013

Things I Love Thursday

The Gym - Holy Cow. It feels so good to be back in a gym and back to running. I've been dying to get back to regular workouts and last weeks setback of the demon cold virus was so frustrating. While I may not have been in the best of shape to get through my half hour Rope Rage class last night (jump roping combined with strength training), I felt so great afterward.

My Local Starbucks - Having a Starbucks on the way to the train in the morning is a godsend and this one is especially fantastic. Even when there's a line (and there is rarely a line of more than three people), service is quick and everyone is particularly friendly. The especially fem African-American boy who is almost always there is the nicest, sunniest person and my favorite person that I don't officially know.

Doctor Who - So, Zach and I powered through and caught up with season 7 of Doctor Who. Oh man, the feels. So many emotions, weeping, laughing. This is definitely on my top five list of favorite shows of all time. It's really hard to rank them between Buffy, HIMYM, Scrubs, Coupling, and Doctor Who but damn, I love this show.

Pink - I've always been a fan of Pink. I think she's an incredible performer and her lyrics always manage to touch me deeply. I've been listening to Just Give Me a Reason on repeat for weeks now. I can't begin to tell you what this song means to me. If you haven't heard it, look up the lyrics, watch this youtube video. http://youtu.be/OpQFFLBMEPI It's amazeballs. 

Inner Peace - This is something I've always struggled with. Being good enough, letting the past go, letting my mind just shut down, I'm always thinking too much. Lately though, the mind buzz is getting fewer and farther between. Meditation helps but I think a lot of it is just learning not to dwell and giving myself over to my emotions without constantly trying to fix myself. 

My Gran - I've been so busy that I haven't had time to call her every week like usual but oversleeping this morning and catching a later train than usual was a great opportunity to do so. She's just so encouraging, supportive, and always full of love, I always feel better after talking to her.

Zombicide - Oh, Zombie board games, they're so much fun and this one is especially so. I got one of my favorite compliments of all time from my friend, Carol-Anne, after last weekends late-night session, "I like your kind of crazy." While everyone else was running around a supermarket trying to collect supplies, I (my character) was driving in circles around the building, laughing maniacally (actually me), and squishing zombies by the dozen. So so so much fun. Also, it's never a bad night hanging with Brian, Carol-Anne, Craig, Tim, Sarah, and little miss Ivy (getting to hold a sleeping baby for a good part of the game was definitely a plus).

Classes - I really enjoy my classes this quarter. There is a ton of discussion involved and the teacher's are challenging and it's really rewarding when you get praise or a good grade.

Letting Go of Fear - I think fear is one of the biggest detriments to self-confidence. I have been scared of so many things for so long: failure, rejection, taking risks. I was scared to go to the gym because I thought people would judge me (or hid on a treadmill and wouldn't go to group fitness classes so most people wouldn't stare at me), I was scared to go back to college, I was scared to leave Champaign, I was scared to put all of myself into a relationship/friendship, I was scared to try things I've always wanted to try. This past year has been a major revelation in letting go of all of that baggage and getting out and enjoying my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment