Wednesday, October 9, 2013

single does not equal desperate

Pardon me while I have a tiny bit of a rant. I have spent a large part of my life where most of my closest friends have been male. I tend to stay good friends with exes and I have, on occasion, had a friend fling. However, there is one thing I have never been able to understand: the assumption that any time a female is single, she must be desperate for sex. It is just simply not the case. So for the men in my life who I love but do sometimes stick their heads up their ass and do something so misogynistically disrespectful that I have the irrational desire to remove their testicles, let me set the record straight on a few things. 

I am made up of more than my lady pieces. Every time a male friend cops a random feel or stares at my boobs or makes an innuendo that was not invited, I am filled with a white hot rage like no other. I have spent arduous hours selectively choosing the people I allow into my life. I adore them each in their own way and for their own individual gifts and strengths. So when a friend does this to me, I feel that they have told me that the only thing they value in me is my vagina. I've read literally thousands of books; I am a Dean's list student at a prestigious university; I am well-versed in music, psychology, theatre, movies, and foreign languages; I love horseback riding, running, archery, dancing, playing the piano, singing, judo, and yoga; I am a foodie and love trying new recipes and new restaurants; I would love to be a voice-over actor and to make huge changes in the field of higher education; and I am a fierce and loyal friend who forgives easily and loves hard. And every time you stare at my cleavage instead of into my eyes, my heart breaks and I feel a sense of disrespect that borders on sorrow because you do not see or value these things about me. Staying single is a choice for me. I have been severely burned in past relationships and have no desire to rush back in again. I am a strong enough person my own and I would rather be on my own than in any kind of relationship where there is not mutual love and respect on both sides. I am too old to waste my time on anything less than 100% and the real deal. 

So, fellas, do us all a favor and show your lady pals a little respect. Some of us may be tiny but, trust me, we know how to inflict maximum damage to a maximum douche. 

No comments:

Post a Comment