Thursday, October 31, 2013

Things I Love Thursday


feeling old in the best possible way - This week my younger cousins were full of good news. My cousin, Christopher, proposed to his girlfriend on Sunday. My cousin, Caitlyn, also got engaged on Sunday. And then my cousin, Kaylee, got engaged last night. I vividly remember when every single one of them was born and wish them all of the happiness in the world. Even if it means reminding me how old I am. 

blanket forts - Friday night, Noah and Terri had a brilliant idea of a party. We covered the floor with air mattresses and blankets and pillows, we ate junk food and drank hot cider, and we snuggled up together and watched The Addams Family and Beetlejuice in a perfect celebration of Autumn.

mama visits - Saturday and Sunday were pretty much dedicated to my mommy. She drove up early in the morning and started the weekend off with blueberry pancakes, fried eggs, bacon, and matcha lattes. She then took me shopping for cute little pumpkins and gourds and fall-like decor for my porch in order to make it look more inhabited, some groceries, and other little things to spruce up my apartment. Saturday night she made my favorite food: fried chicken, chicken gravy, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and biscuits. We spent the rest of the weekend antiquing, checking out several vintage stores, and watching Much Ado About Nothing. It was lovely and helped a great deal with my incredibly crappy mood from the week before.

brunch - My dearest Craig came up on Sunday to see Once for his birthday. My mom and I met up with him for a lovely brunch at The Publican and it was good to see the man who has always signed my birthday cards "Aunt". 

a creative eye - I can do a killer makeup design and pull any number of fabulous pieces out of any costume vault I've entered but I cannot make my own things. I can't tweek my clothes to perfection and most art projects leave me staring at blank canvas. So many thanks to Makena who helped me make a killer mask and come up with a better costume for Saturday's masked ball. I would have looked like a total frump without her. 

90 Miles Cuban Cafe - Tuesday night we went out to celebrate my cousin, Alysia's, 25th birthday. We went to a cute little BYOB Cuban restaurant and spent several hours stuffing ourselves with amazingly flavored meats, rice, beans, wine, amazing desserts, and all of the plantains we could eat. Highly recommended to my fellow Chicagoans. 

Milli-love - Yesterday, we lost a great man and fantastic teacher. David "Doc" Golden taught many of us so much more than appreciation of theatre lit and seeing all of the outpouring of love over social media yesterday reminds me of what a great bond we will always have. 

my supervisor's right hand - Today, in a staff meeting, I jokingly called myself "Donna's right hand" to which she replied "and my left". No matter how much crap I go through at my job, it's nice to be reminded every now and again that I am appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment