Saturday, October 12, 2013

the truth about love (or at least my truth)

Thursday, I got home from class and was ecstatic to find Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing waiting for me in the mail. As soon as I was finished with all of my doctor's appointments and errand running yesterday, I curled up under the blankets with my girls and popped it in. I just can't begin to express how much I love this movie but it starts with the fact that Joss was able to finally do justice to what I consider to be one of the most honest love stories I've ever read. Two of my favorite quotes about love are in the same scene when Benedick professes his love to Beatrice. 

"I do love nothing in the world so well as you: is not that strange?"
This one, for me, is the perfect expression on how we find love. It's always been a surprise that I wasn't looking for. It overwhelms all other love and knocks me on my ass in amazement. Shouldn't we all be waiting for that feeling? So many people settle with just someone that's nice to them for a change or someone that's different than the last person who broke their heart. They look for an easy way by shutting down those dangerous feelings and being with someone safe. I have suffered great pain for love and never once have I believed that it wasn't worth it. I believe this so wholeheartedly that I will immediately run from a relationship the second I have the realization that it is not love. I know casual dating works for a lot of people but I have always been in search of the real thing.

"I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest."
This is the important part. The part I think many people forget. Just how much of yourself that love takes. If you're not both willing to give 100%, it's not going to work. I don't mean that you have to drop everything else you do or ignore your other friends but you do occasionally have to be willing to drop something when the other person is having a bad day or is sick and just needs you to come snuggle on the couch with them. It also means that you are willing to stand up for them if one of your friends makes them feel unwelcome. It means that you see their flaws as more parts of them to love, not parts of them that make them unworthy of your love. It means giving support or space when it is needed, it means giving them a shoulder to cry on and an ear to talk to, celebrating their highs and mourning their lows, being happy when you're with them 24/7 but able to enjoy your me-time when they're gone, sharing goals and hobbies and likes and dislikes but also having things you do without them, and always letting them know how much you love them even when things aren't going well. 

So take some time to appreciate your partners and remember that you're good enough not to settle for anything less than the real deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment